Dont let rent a center bully you!

i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items

1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.

2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.

3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.

4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment

5) you are not required to give them the items back.

6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!

review #203158
1404 570 Helpful?
Had the same issue443 Comments305
Had an experience with Rent A Center?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Follow at your own risk

Jul 28 #1013136 Lemont, Illinois

As someone who has been taken to court by rent a center I think someone should put out the truth so that when you read these post you know what really happens. I followed these steps of not paying and I'll tell you it's not a good idea. I was taken to small claim by rent a center. I didn't show up. The police showed up to my house two weeks after the court date with the rent a center people and a locksmith. Whe. The police knocked I answered my door. He gave me a relevant order which allowed them to come into my house and get their merchandise back from me. I looked it up and yes it was legal. On that was also a second court date. I figured that since they took their stiff back I was done so once again I didn't show up. after that things were smooth sailing... ir so I thought when I got a summons to a third court date that had my old employer being a garnished defendant on it. I looked it up and found out they were trying to garnish my wages for back rent and court costs. Since they had my old employer I didn't bother to show up since I knew they wouldn't get anything from them. End of story. Or so I thought. this all happened about nine months ago. About a month ago I got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop. No big deal give me my ticket I'll pay it take traffic scholarship and be done with it. Nope... Handcuffs!!! Apparently by not showing up to court a bench warrant was put out for my arrest with a 500 dollar bond. My wife bonded me out... Show more

Jul 30 #1013809

Sorry you are dealing with all of this but I think that most of this post is true since like you said they sent you to small claims. The one thing they are wrong about is not showing up in court. You should always show up in court no matter if you "think" the situation will go away or not. If you had you might have won your case and had it thrown out because I've heard lots of stories about people being taken to court and rent a center employees not even showing up so the case gets thrown out. But, since you didn't show up I'm sure the judge took it as a sign of guilt and found in their favor.

Jul 09 #1005581

What if somebody put you down as a reference and they don't pay can they go after you?

Jun 29 #1001311

Rent a center has every right to contact an employer trying to reach you, however the employer can tell RAC not to call, and at that point, they have to stop

Jun 22 #997972

Is tht for texas included

Jun 17 #996088 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I have been after them for over a month (aarons) to come pick up a couple appliances and they haven't yet!! Is there a law of how long it takes before it comes ours?

Jun 29 #1001082

Never ever do business with aarons they gave me the wrong charger every time I got a laptop to tab

Haha019

Jun 14 #995091 Corpus Christi, Texas

Reading your review is pretty pathetic...I know sometimes some people can do crazy things and not all locations are that way...you must realize that this RTO business is here to make money just like any other company is...but they offer people the ability to get what they normally are not able to get due to credit or cash up front...plus everything is in black and white of what they will pay over time...so no one forces anyone to walk in and give their information and payment....they are very aware of what is going on. But i understand why you are doing this...because you are mad plus you sucked at the business and probably got fired...but its ok not everyone is cut out for RTO...so stop talking *** at what is working for some and move on you miserable pathetic worthless person. Also have a nice day.

0 4 Reply

Jul 27 #1012467

Wow haha019
It really hurts u ha? *** rent a center,aarons,n buddys these peolpe over do it with they prices.. For a ps4 they want like $1400 r u for real.... Do u work with them o something is thats how u make ur money by taking people like an ***? Well good job...

Jun 10 #993510 Fort Myers, Florida

Can rent a center put u in jail for non payment even if ur trying to make the payment in full

29 26 Reply

May 08 #981532

Im in ohio i moved to the capital, columbus, a couple of years ago but back home i bought several things off of them with the insurance plan, my dryer broke 2 months after the insurance was no good, do that was a $700 loss, the "brand new" kitchen table i bought, 2/4 chairs broke and the table is going to be next, they sell junk and over price it. And the insurance is a joke. So now i have been renting washer/dryer, couch/love seat and paying at least! 400/month, they start bullying me the very day it comes due, I'm a nurse and have a very good job and i told them they don't need to worry about "reminding" me of my payment, then they have been trying to pin me with a $15 late fee of I'm a day late. So to the person saying we are broke for using Rac, not the case, actually you got to have alot of money to rent from them, some of us don't have a whole lot of credit or the best of credit so we are forced to use these awful places that take advantage of us

8 5 Reply
Annabear

Apr 16 #972478 Portland, Oregon

Hi there I am dealing with aarons. Is it the same for them the things you said in your post?? Because they have called my parents and sister. Harassed my husband at work while he works two states away. Somehow found where I worked (didn't have a job when first started this). And calls me three or four times a day. My boss is ready to fire me. Finally tonight I went and had a meeting with store manager and he practically grabbed my purse asking how much money did u bring me. Very uncomfortable and I will not do alone again. He threatened to wait outside my house so he can pick up items. I'm actually scared. My husband is gone for three weeks at a time and I am here alone. Just wanna know my rights.

Apr 26 #976892

Uhh, y don't u just send the stuff back??? Instead of trying to get over. But I guess I'm wrong for thinking that way

2 3 Reply

Apr 09 #970170 Louisville, Kentucky

They call all my references and we are three weeks behind. They sent us a letter from an attorney.

Jun 10 #993596 Barstow, California

If the letter u received is not sign nor it has the proper information on how much you owe, then dont stress about it cause it is useless

1 0 Reply
katillac

Apr 08 #969546 Beaumont, Texas

Yeah they'[re sitting outside my house now over and xbox. Have been for days and days. They are doing all the things on your list...... five voicemails a day and calling my job nonstop. Told me they files charges against me and are still coming to my house..... He's been outside for almost an hour now.

Mar 04 #953750 Sacramento, California

They have called my work twice!! And I specifically remember signing a paper that said they weren't allowed to call there... my director of operations took the call and now I look like a broke *** in debt. What should I do?

Apr 29 #978134

OMg....now you look like a broke *** in debt. OF COURSE YOU ARE. And how is that their fault????? Why is ANYONE *** enough to go to these places?? Please, just send me your money if you are going to throw it away anyway. Know how I know you are ***? When I see you in a Rentacenter or Aarons store......

2 6 Reply

Jun 08 #992483 Lincoln Park, Michigan

I usually agree however goog people get ripped off because they can't afford to goto Ashley Sears or rooms by that being said I just spent 4000$ at Ashley furniture for a $2000 bed and $2000 couch set am I broke cause I rented a washer dryer+or are u a ***.Why your talking didn't I see u at welfare

3 0 Reply

Feb 23 #949931 Baltimore, Maryland

O MG THANKS YOU SO MUCH I GOT SOME STUFF FROM THEM...AND PAID OVER 5000 AND THEIR TRYING TO SC ARE..ME SEND A LETTER FROM AN ATTONERY.....U JUST CONFIRM..MY FEELINGS THANKS

9 1 Reply

1-20 of 305 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Rent A Center.
Filing a new complaint about
×