dont let rent a center bully you!

Issue not resolved

i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items

1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.

2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.

3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.

4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment

5) you are not required to give them the items back.

6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!

f32075e review #203158
496 Helpful? 1382
Had the same issue291 Comments248 Report
Had an experience with Rent A Center?  Submit review about this company
Bigbaby

1 hour ago

Can they pursue me criminally if I wrote a check and didn't know that I don't have the funds to cover it or don't have the money now to pay because they just lefty house an said if I don't come in today their filing charges with my local sheriffs office. Can someone please help with an answer?!

fucking pissed

Jan 09 Coatesville, Pennsylvania

They suck use and simple they do nothing but lie cheat and steal from people the one in Pottsville sucks beyond belief. They harassed Everyone on my references I have there insurance and that's just a big joke they don't And won't use it now they say they will have me arrested cause I lost my job and can't pay for it so why was I paying extra for insurance to cove job lose if they won't use it. If you need something don't use rent a center and definitely don't use the one in Pottsville there nothing but *** and bullys.

0 1 Reply
kitkat

Jan 06

I need to know if RAC can come after me. For a lost phone. That I have been making payments on. They keep treating me about fileing charges on me if I don't make a payment.

19 hours ago Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Once you've paid over half the original cost of the item (not the cost on the tag, but the price RAC paid for it), they are not going to file any charges. Quite frankly, if you're still paying for it then you're throwing your money away.

tera

Jan 05 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I love this article I just got told I would be arrested for bringing their TV back for late payment and damages I tried to work with them I asked how we could resolve this they told me I didn't need baby formula to shuffle my bills and pay the Nile negative 5 stars and I had no problem with Aarons

0 1 Reply
stupid-fool-who-bought-crap

Dec 18, 2014 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I never worked for rent a center but i am living proof that they harass people i never even signed my contact with them and they refuse to show it to me they are *** artists and they feel free to treat people like *** i live in Pittsburgh pa and have never been treated with any retailers or my landlord like they treat me sorry to say either wait til you have money or save up never go through rent a center

1 3 Reply
Jay

Dec 14, 2014 Texas, United States

Ok, let me clear up a few things I'm reading here. I've been working in rent-to-own for 8 years, the last 3 as a general manager. I've worked for Aarons, RAC, and have been running a Buddys Home Furnishings for a little over a year now in Texas. Whoever made this original post, I doubt ever worked for any RTO company. The information in it, is about 5% over-blown policy info, and 95% made up BS. So before anyone else takes his advice I'll correct a few things first, just so you're informed on the actual "inside information" and don't go letting this *** get anyone into trouble. So starting from the top....
#1. Oh, they can most definitely visit your home. Ever see any movies or tv shows about vampires? Same rules apply! By signing that rental agreement, (that no one ever really reads which is why GMs are required to walk ya thru it like that before signing) you just invites the vampire into your home. For Service, Delivery, and field visit (Collections). Magic words to stop the knocking?! Go into the store ask for GM or CAM and face to face say "Please don't come to my home, it's becoming a problem for me and my family." If it continues, open the door next time and say "I've asked already to only deal with this issue at the store" and close the door. You don't say the magic words then you don't trigger FDCPA laws and you're fair game for more field visits.
#2. Of course they can't go inside your home by force, but as long as you're not saying magic words a good
... Show more

10 0 Reply
don

Dec 15, 2014 Colleyville, Texas

Ok I rented a cell phone from RAC but I lost it they won't give me a another one I'm not going to. Pay for it if I don't have it but they keep bugging me about so what do I do about it ?????????????????

Caro

Dec 19, 2014 Miami, Florida

Okay so I rented a few items from RAC and I was supposed to make a payment on the 31st. I wasn't able to because I lost my job last month and I won't start my new one until the fifth of January. They've called and come to the house asking for payment but I have not been able to give them one. What can I do?

Stan

Dec 27, 2014 Beacon, New York

Yes, they can call your references, but they cannot give out your account info. That's where the Fair Credit Reporting Act draws the line. Also, they have a habit of not honoring the benefit plans, that are supposed to cover the payments on items, in the event you get laid off. If you pay into it, they should honor it. I paid into it, and they never honored it, although they were clearly informed that I got laid off. They also had the nerve to pull right in my driveway, demanding a payment-no b.s.

Byonka

Dec 28, 2014 Arlington, Texas

I need serious help!! I rented a 4k television, Xbox one and MacBook. I paid off the Xbox one And MacBook but rent a center is harassing me to give the tv so I did but they still are pressing charges for theft including my bf who is on the account. I'm not a thief in no way and have been their best customer

7 3 Reply
dj

Jan 05 Detroit, Michigan

I got a question for you my items were stolen in may of 2014 and ive been paying for them ever since i am currently 3 months behind and i owe 4 weeks on a ps4 and a year on a 70" inch smart tv what can i do i have their insurance but i don't know what to do can you help me please.

4 2 Reply

Jan 09 Garland, Texas

Can you please email me. i have some questions for you about rent a center. blairvillegas88@gmail.com

princess2112

Jan 19 Austin, Texas

Please tell me what to do then my car was on the side of the road I was moving the stuff was stolen from car I didn't report it stolen I am 90 days past due and can pay on Feb 5th they won't wait they say they are filing charges what can view do to get them to let me get the account current until then and then pa the balanc off on the 22 of Feb plz help

deseparatelyneedinghelp

Jan 21

Can you please tell me how I can keep my stuff. I was paying and I was paying on time but then a lot of things happen in my life, including my mother passing away.
Now, I told them that I would pay them as soon as I got my check from my accident. However, they have been constantly harassing me, including coming to my job.
The things that I have I really need. A washer and a cell phone. They were the one who practically forced these things on me, when I told them I couldn't afford two things at once.
Now, they have have a repossession proceedings against me. I have seven days to reply. I would like to know what will happen in this situation?
Will you please help me?, Please?

Floridaboy305

2 days ago

Yes how do you go about keeping the item without having to pay and without going to jail is that possible please respond back to me at your earliest convenience go ahead and provide my email could really use a few pointers my email is JCowart425@gmail.com thank you for your time

pissed customer

Dec 12, 2014

Well guess what for the rent a center worshipers I have $2000 washer dryer set which I've paid double that some how still owe owned for two years OK... I have a laptop still owe big Time had for 5 months two months ago got 60 inch TV and entertainment center always pay....
Well every Saturday my phone my house phone and my fiances phone gets three calls each from 830 am until 930 am and each three voicemails mind you its very early and we always pay that afternoon and they know that well its been 10 days since I paid I'm sick of the a**holes calling and pounding on my door even if its one day late so now rent a center can eat a fat one I'll be moving in a month catch me if you can scam artist

5 0 Reply

1-20 of 248 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.