dont let rent a center bully you!

Issue not resolved

i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items

1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.

2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.

3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.

4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment

5) you are not required to give them the items back.

6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!

d8f8f1d review #203158
476 Helpful? 1380
Had the same issue256 Comments234 Report
Had an experience with Rent A Center?  Submit review about this company
stupid-fool-who-bought-crap

Dec 18 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I never worked for rent a center but i am living proof that they harass people i never even signed my contact with them and they refuse to show it to me they are *** artists and they feel free to treat people like *** i live in Pittsburgh pa and have never been treated with any retailers or my landlord like they treat me sorry to say either wait til you have money or save up never go through rent a center

0 1 Reply
Jay

Dec 14 Texas, United States

Ok, let me clear up a few things I'm reading here. I've been working in rent-to-own for 8 years, the last 3 as a general manager. I've worked for Aarons, RAC, and have been running a Buddys Home Furnishings for a little over a year now in Texas. Whoever made this original post, I doubt ever worked for any RTO company. The information in it, is about 5% over-blown policy info, and 95% made up BS. So before anyone else takes his advice I'll correct a few things first, just so you're informed on the actual "inside information" and don't go letting this *** get anyone into trouble. So starting from the top....
#1. Oh, they can most definitely visit your home. Ever see any movies or tv shows about vampires? Same rules apply! By signing that rental agreement, (that no one ever really reads which is why GMs are required to walk ya thru it like that before signing) you just invites the vampire into your home. For Service, Delivery, and field visit (Collections). Magic words to stop the knocking?! Go into the store ask for GM or CAM and face to face say "Please don't come to my home, it's becoming a problem for me and my family." If it continues, open the door next time and say "I've asked already to only deal with this issue at the store" and close the door. You don't say the magic words then you don't trigger FDCPA laws and you're fair game for more field visits.
#2. Of course they can't go inside your home by force, but as long as you're not saying magic words a good
... Show more

5 0 Reply
don

Dec 15 Colleyville, Texas

Ok I rented a cell phone from RAC but I lost it they won't give me a another one I'm not going to. Pay for it if I don't have it but they keep bugging me about so what do I do about it ?????????????????

Caro

Dec 19 Miami, Florida

Okay so I rented a few items from RAC and I was supposed to make a payment on the 31st. I wasn't able to because I lost my job last month and I won't start my new one until the fifth of January. They've called and come to the house asking for payment but I have not been able to give them one. What can I do?

pissed customer

Dec 12

Well guess what for the rent a center worshipers I have $2000 washer dryer set which I've paid double that some how still owe owned for two years OK... I have a laptop still owe big Time had for 5 months two months ago got 60 inch TV and entertainment center always pay....
Well every Saturday my phone my house phone and my fiances phone gets three calls each from 830 am until 930 am and each three voicemails mind you its very early and we always pay that afternoon and they know that well its been 10 days since I paid I'm sick of the a**holes calling and pounding on my door even if its one day late so now rent a center can eat a fat one I'll be moving in a month catch me if you can scam artist

Russ

Dec 02 Tampa, Florida

Rent a center in campbellsville ky has called my references and threatened me. They are harassing me over a phone because I am behind on my payments saying I am going to prison.. The man James yelled at me saying I wanted thier phone for free I ask him about my 170 dollar store credit he said that was on merchandise in the store I said we'll deduct the 170 from 200 well then I only owe u 30 dollars cause the phone was in your store

0 4 Reply
pissed

Nov 29 Mankato, Minnesota

Rent a center is now home choice, as I just had a situation with their repo man. the furnature is under my boyfriends name (sons father). The apartment is under my name, but yes he stated he was living here. They came today I answered the door they asked if he was here I said no he is not. The man talking while the other man stands in the back looking like a cop of some sort. Said we are here to take back the couch, I said no not letting you in shut the door and locked it right away, not even 15 seconds later there was a loud bang on my door, as if someone kicked it. It scared my 2yr old who started crying but also myself. That is too far on top of the fact threating.

0 4 Reply
Ruthie

Nov 28 Houston, Texas

I get paid every 2 weeks RAC knows this and still call me for late payment... I have bought 5 big money things from them and paid them off... New people in the store... What can I do? Makes me not want to pay and keep what I got

2 3 Reply
Johndoe

Nov 15 London, Kentucky

I'm confused I rented some items from rent a center i got behind on payments me and my fiancé split up and I no longer have the items my ex fiancée has them but she claims she doesn't have them. She told rent a center that I have the stuff which is untrue so they keep calling me and family calling me a thief and a liar what I can do about this?please help I'm tired of bring harassed over something I don't have.

L. Reid

Nov 07 St. Petersburg, Florida

If you worked for them you'd actually know what is in the contracts. You would know that they can call your work, but not tell them specifically what you owe them. They can and will call everyone you listed as contacts. They will do a pawn search with the local police and if you have been a big enough ***, have a bunch of money left to pay or have high dollar items they can and will get a Writ of Replevin. If you have fallen on hard times they will try their best to work something out and the Benefits Plus program covers you if you have lost your job for a number of months.
What they cannot do is leave more than 3 messages a day, they cannot contact you via social media or call you on a Sunday. Everything else is fair game.
They runa a business, you signed a contract agreeing to terms. Getting your nose all out of joint and acting indignant is just silly when you are in violation of a contract.

3 8 Reply
TEX

Nov 08

You sound like you work for them. Tell me... how would you feel if you had an accident, had 2 surgeries, can barely walk... already paid $3000 for a $1500 tv... and they call you up and tell you they will come to your house and make a big scene and promise to embarrass you in front of the neighbors?
Do they have that right... and lawfully... you biased worker for them. After being told not to call anymore by the references... it is harassment and can be prosecuted for it.
Do your research on the Writ ... it's very expensive and doesn't make logical sense.

2 1 Reply

Nov 17

It sounds like someone screwed you or you were a bad payer. If you don't pay the items off in 3 months half your payment starts coming off as a rental fee. So the most you should ever pay is twice the cash price if you go full term. So if you put 3000 dollars in a 1500 dollar tv it should have been paid off. However, if you pay late consistently the late fees could be the x factor here. You are right though after the reference says do not call me, rent a cent cannot call them anymore. This however doesn't remove the obligation of the contract. Some rent a center employees like this one claim they won't sue you but this is false. The store manager can get a lawyer or some districts will open an account and these stores and districts will sue you if its worth it. In your case they wouldn't because they already made their money, however if they owe a lot on the item you stole they will take you to court. The store i work at currently is collecting monthly court checks from people around here who read articles like this and thought we wouldn't sue them. If anyone wants real advice about rent a center, read your contract and know what your getting yourself into. Never sign something you don't fully understand or don't intend to commit to. If you get into a bind like yourself set up a pick up and use your life time reinstatement later when you can. They have to let you start where you left off as long as you returned it on good terms.

BeeZee

Nov 16 Orlando, Florida

There is no provision in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act that prohibits a creditor from calling you on a Sunday, ***. In fact, they can call you on all 365 days of the year as long as the call is made between the hours of 8am and 9pm. That's right, creditors can call you on Thanksgiving, Christmas, your freaking birthday or any other day they choose as long as it is not outside of those hours.
Listen up, Reid. People are looking for advice in here and it normally involves a stressful issue related to an ***hole creditor. These businesses usually stretch the limits of what's legal anyway so why not make sure you have your facts straight and that you're helping people with the correct information before you come in here and start spouting off a bunch of B.S. that isn't true, eh?
Can't call on Sunday... you're an ***, you know that?

flewbyu0808

Nov 06 Huntington, New York

I have the same problem with rent a center,they are threatening me and through my friends,and they came tomy hhome demanding payment or item,that I don't have that was stolen.They call my family and friends stating the are going to prosecute me for not having the merchandice any longer.It was stolen.Their saying if I don't pay them,I'm facing 2-5 in prison for the phone.It was stolen and I told them that and they called me a liar.

4 1 Reply

Nov 08 Dawsonville, Georgia

just doing some research to see if if they can prosecute you bc my friend is in the same situation

Nov 11 Elizabethtown, Kentucky

Hey flewbyu0808 I rented a phone from them and it went into first payment default because I did not have a way to take it to them that day I went in 3 days later to pay it and they refused My money and told me to bring the phone in the next day well I lost the phone (I have 2 babies) so now I am getting the phone calls and letters from their lawyer we told them it was lost and we couldn't find it yet they are still harassing me do you kno of they can put me in jail for it or what can happen it worries me cause I can't find it and I can't go to jail please let me kno the outcome of what happend with yours

Doing what is right

Nov 28

A few months back I was on a jury for the same type of issue. We found the woman guilty and asked for the maximum 5 year jail term. The judge took pity on her because of her three kids and gave her the minimum 2 year jail term with no possibility of early release.
I still can't figure why she didn't simply buy a $20 pay as you go trac type phone from Walmart. It wouldn't be trendy like a smart phone, but it beats spending two years in a nasty jail. Hopefully when she gets out in 2016, she'll have learned a few lessons such as living within her budget and taking responsibility for things she signed a contract for.

Dec 16 Tampa, Florida

*** liar I have been to jail an people don't even get 2 years hardly even if they committed a violent crime that resulted in the other person having broken bones sounds to me like scare tactics on your part your ridiculous rac employee I wonder how much stolen property you have at your house seeing you only make 10.50 an hour

0 1

1-20 of 234 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.