100K views

i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items

1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.

2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.

3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.

4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment

5) you are not required to give them the items back.

6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!

Comments

to Missy 327 #1558106

No they cant. I'm sorry.

No no no. It's a debt darling. Also.. harassment is harassment, stalking is stalking, no matter if it is a business, or a cop, or whoever.

People owe me money right now.. I'm not calling them and all their friends their work and following them around...

Aarons in philadelphia are pounding on my door and calling every few dsys.called my mom too.ive missd one payment what can they do if i dont pay

Star69
to John #1433641

Thy have a law sue in no Thy cant because taxes pay it up after a while u want hear from them again because i had tvs beds in was almost done

You sign a contract when you rent from them. As long as you sign a contract it's not theft .

I does not matter if you only made 1 payment. You cannot go to jail period.

They will bully you to get you to pay because they only have a certain amount of time before they have to turn it over to a creditor. They will lie and tell you your going to jail, they are putting a warrant out for your arrest, there is a court date pending etc....all B.S.

to Mccullum19 #1426425

I just got arrested for this. I moved and I called them letting them know I couldn't find a job and couldn't make payments.

According to them , Because I had moved outside of their county they couldn't come pick up the furniture. I gave them my new address and told them the furniture was available for pick up at anytime. No one ever came. They then sent an investigator from the police to call me and ask about the furniture.

I told her the same rhing. Its here at this address, they can come get it when ever they want. Again... No one came.

Fast forward 6 months, I get arrested on felony charges. I have never been in any kind of trouble with the law. I am a full time student and a mom of 3. Ive done nothing wrong to my knowledge.

They refused to pick up the sofas how is it my fault? Now ive lost my opportunity to continue my education or get a decent job. We all know how hard it is to get a job with a felony. Not sure what to do now.

I have court on Monday. Keep me in your prayers.

to K.A #1432361

What you can do is have your criminal record expunged. Whatever state you reside in, google how to expunge criminal record for cases where "adjudication withheld" or "adjudication not withheld.

to K.A #1453033

Was the stuff from rent a center

to K.A #1487635

what state is this

to Mccullum19 #1442726

You are an idiot. They can definitely get you put in jail in certain states.

You can also be sued. If you know how to read, read the contract one day moron.

They are at my door standing in front of my house he will not leave I already paid them. Partially what I owe them. What can I do

Ummm you must be a bitter ex employee or a broke customer who couldn’t afford the things you had. First hand my friend served 6 months in jail for felony theft after selling his items and not paying for 90 days!

Rent a center DOES NOT GO BY THE FCCA (fair collection credit act) because they don’t go based off of credit, HELLO!!!

Went to the corporate office first hand to show the 22 times rent a cent called me for my friends things they pulled the 3rd page of the contract and he clearly sighted that reference can be used for collection purposes! In the same page it states they have every right to go to your home , employer (unless indicated that your job prohibits visitors).

I’m

Sorry but I know my friend was “trying to make ends meet at time” And “wanted his kids to have a good

Christmas” and he tried to give that same story to the judge he said something that probably changed even my perspective (in the lines of

) “ if you can’t afford it why have it, if You could afford 26 a week why have it?

Because to make your situation better you NEEDED a brand nex Xbox? No there is plenty of yard sells and pawn shops that offer layaway to help you be sure you own an item and not Borrow and not return.

How Would you like if you helped me out because I never took care of my credit and wanted an easy way to have “nice things” and I just up and took it without ever answering your phone calls again? I’m pretty sure you would bag on my door and Call my friends to get your stuff back after a while” Come on ppl play stupid games (renting items you won’t be able to afford even thought the interest is in your face when you sign your name) WIN STUPID PRIZES (ppl calling you and coming to your house to get the item you have taken) Side note it’s not illegal 2 houses down from me is a cop who’s son rent from RAC and they bang on his door just as hard

to Brianna #1431945

You are gutless and heartless.. All these Rental places make a Killer!!!

3,4, even 5 times more then what the fair market value of each item is..... I get it that takes the rental period to get that money but with each passing day that item is losing it's value ..... So should your rental be less as time goes on??? NO your rental will be the same.......

Yeah 1500 dollars for a Nintendo switch.... (Payment after paying last payment) or 875 dollars cash Walmart has theirs for 299 Dollars and online about the same maybe a little more. So that's 3 Times the value!!! If you decide but but it outright and they believe that 875 is the "Fair Market Value" B.S.!!!!!

Aarrons.. Rent a Center.... And all other rent to own places are the Kings of taking from people it's highway robbery to be stupid enough to rent from one of these places then they cry when someone does not return their stuff back to them and the employee of that rental place is in Jeopardy of losing his job because all these so called out to help the poor people with no credit can't pay their employees an hourly pay it's all based on commission.... It does not matter if that employee has a family or not most of them will lose their jobs if they can't collect the money or Items back from the customer......

How fair is that? I get the fact that the non payers should not be *** and keep the items if they can't pay for them but let's think about this for a second.... Who are the real ones taking from us?..... I think 7-8 billion dollars in profit says it all.......

News flash they lie also (Rental places) most of the furniture they put on the floor and selling it as new.... It's not it's been used.... In most cases slightly used..... But isn't slightly used still considered used?.....

Which is worse liers or a Thief?.... Both are wrong.

Rental places are no better off then the ones who rent and keep or owe them money. Let's put the Complete truth out there.

to Lee #1443260

Your completely wrong. You should look further into this matter before you start thinking of posting again smh

to Brianna #1442728

Smartest comment I have seen on here. Great job.

You have done your homework. I work here and this is exactly how it works.

to JD #1443262

For you to agree to that is outrageous she has posted false tales but you who works for that company should be fired and the person who taught you your practices. Because what they sit YOU in front of a computer to learn is the in and outs of the company and it’s procedures clearly you weren’t paying attention if you believe her statements to be true

#1420751

Someone came into my house, they stole the play station as well as laptop that I am renting to own from rentacenter.. I have a police report but there was no forced entering but the back door was left unlocked and the lights on. What can I do?

to Marissa #1442730

No forced entry means you are liable for the merchandise.

to JD #1443264

Take the police report to the store. You should be able to receive a rate reduction.

Normally half of what your already paying. If you had benefits plus on your account you might receive more help

to Marissa #1451466

Lock your doors

#1420173

He'll they are doing this to me I've paid 4 months and harassing me about payment have sent many messages and emails there harrassing the he'll out me