90.7K views

i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items

1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.

2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.

3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.

4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment

5) you are not required to give them the items back.

6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!

Comments

lilbrowneyez13

o, qiestion, a friend of mine rented some stuff fro rent a center.She made her first payment, and then she moved.

She had to go out of town for a family emergency that required her to stay longer. Why she didnt call them and tell them that, dont know. However she used me as a reference and they have showed up at my house, looking for her on more than one occassion. So, she called me today, and was like rent a center showed up at her house.

Now, she moved from where she had the furniture delivered too. But how could rent a center find her new address. She called me talking ***, like b**** i know you gave them my address. Im like what are you talking about.

Appparently the showed up at her house. I dont even know where you live. So my question is, can rent a center find out where you live after you move.

Or do i need to tell my friend that unfortunately whoever else she put down as her reference told them where she live.And also, what advice can I give her Because i told her either give heir stuff back or pay it, but she is too afraid to go in there thinking she is going to be arrested or someting

to Anonymous #1360664

Yes, it is very easy to find out where someone has moved.Returned service requested letters.

Electric or water companys. An easy google search usually will provide a new address. Ypur friend should be more of an adilt and take responsibility for her legal binding contracts and stop over reacting on her friends.

They can file criminial charges and a warrent can be issued and you can go to jail for non payment, failure to return lease to own merchindise.She needs to call them to go get it Asap.

to Advice #1399327

What law are you looking at credit matters are of the civil nature not criminal so don't make up stories when they aren't true. I worked in a jail for 25 years not once did we get anyone arrested for not paying for there rental items and failing not to return it. People a good reference on what they can and can't do it google Fair Debt Reporting Act and it will tell you what credit collectors can do don't let them buffalo you into anything else.

to AN ADVICE #1432062

the fair debt reporting act does not apply to them because its not credit YOU ARE RENTING THE ITEM.and just like a rented car if you do not return it at the end of the rental period its considered theft under the law....google theft by conversion.

to Anonymous #1364583

They found out where she lived through her us postal address change once you do that ANYONE CAN FIND YOU

to Anonymous #1371733

Their prob was a tracking device in there stuff so your freind should forgive u

What if an item has the same serial numbers on them

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #1351236

Does rent a center have a case against me if they don't have a signed contract from me?

to Nikole #1360663

No its is a legal binding contract. If you did not sign you did not agree.

Miami, Florida, United States #1349810

This place blow more than liberal Democrats.

I have been receving calls from Rent a Center regarding a relative that has a contract with them.Asked numerous times for them to stop calling me.

Not getting involved in their business and not a answering message company. Told them I was not knowledgeable that my name and number had been put on anything. Again asked them to stop calling. Spoke with the manager of the place and he's worst than the other employees.

They continue to call.

Blocked them but get voice messages.What can I do to stop this harrassment

Edenton, North Carolina, United States #1342450

Rent a center put a warrant out on me for failure to return rental property and I knew nothing about it , and I gave the items back and still had to go to jail and still have to go to court , smh

to Anonymous 1 #1352605

When did u stop payment

to Anonymous 1 #1399330

Only law enforcement and courts can issue a warrant who are you trying to kid

to AN ADVICE #1432064

i think he means they took out a warrant on him genius

Lexington, North Carolina, United States #1340839

Is this really true? cause I have had the worse issues with rent a center doing this stuff to me. They even tried to say that since I moved without telling them they would have charges taken out on us for stolen property.

Austin, Texas, United States #1337055

The rent off cent hear in Austin are really b@d hear off threating me

Yea but I live in texas every state laws are different does that apply to texas

to Anonymous #1342914

Omg you really went to jail ?!

Three Rivers, Michigan, United States #1332219

I am currently in a situation with Aarons.At the time I was able to afford this bedroom furniture that I sign for.

But as I told them months later my rent went up and I was having a hard time paying them. they tried to work with me and remodify the contract to pay as cash to 900.00. By the way they do not take bed sets back and I really just wanted them to take it back. I was late one time on payment and the bedset went back to 1800.00.

they stop by my house they threaten to take me to court. Im enrolled in debt consolidation program and I wish they would send me to collections so they can get settled.

Do I still pay for furniture I told them to come pick up.I didn't want it and they still harass me to pay.