22.5K views

I have a tv from RAC which im behind like 3 weeks in a payment they keep calling and I just recently moved I do plan on paying them but itll take me a few days to get paid.. they leave mssges every day about my "delinquent" account..

can they take me to court and how long after my payment?..

I dont think theyd take me to court for 3 weeks would they?..If they would how long after would they have the right to take me to court?.. Should i just give it back and have them deliver it again in a couple of days to get them off my back..?..

Review about: Rent A Center Account.

Comments

Yes it has been a nightmare I haven't paid them this is 2 months now I started paying them 2016 for a sofa set already gave him over $2,500

Ok I just got a call from Scott carruthers office threatening that they will serve me with criminal charges for not returning a refrigerator that I paid for months and then I got divorced and my ex-husband took it. Is this true? The e law office didn't even want to spell the lawyers name and hung up on me.

to Mimi #1459889

Look up your consumer affair laws in your state for example here in California that is a violation of thr fair debt collection act no debt collector is allowed to threaten you with criminal charges its a contract that money is owed on so its a civil matter. Not only can you make a complaint with consumer affairs and the FTC in Ca you are entiltled up to $1500 for every time they violate the collection act. I am going to school to be a Civil Litigation Attorney and have sued a car finance company and was awarded over 20 grand

#1392009

okay im only a few days late and RAC is calling me ten times a day I think that's ridiculous because I'm only a few day late and if by the 1st week I see it doesn't fit into my budget I will call them to come take the stuff back. BUT *** you all are on here delinquent for more than a week and complaining?

wtf? send the furniture back.

you cant afford it anymore and you are not entitled to keep if you cant pay anymore. that's the way Rent to Own works.

Been doing busy with rent a center since the opened... We had to very bad experiences with them...

Apparently they dont like working with thier customers even if its todays late...

We've. Only bought all our furniture from them...

The reason you habitual deadbeats are renting furniture is because you serial deadbeats destroyed your credit by not paying your bills to other creditors. Now you're here throwing your temper tantrums because the big, bad RAC bill collectors are calling!

Isn't that a big surprise!!! If you don't like bill collectors calling you...pay your bills!!! How blatantly obvious is that?

However, 20 years from now you sorry habitual deadbeats will still be sorry habitual deadbeats blaming everyone and everything else but YOURSELF! Yes sir...the best society has to offer!!!

to Anonymous #1386154

How do you sleep at night with an attitude like that ..I'm sure your mom would be proud..your obviously an angry person ..GOD is the only judge !! Find him and seek peace ..I will be praying for you !!

to Anonymous #1393962

Oh we are so sorry that you "Mr. PERFECT" HAS never done anything wrong... he who is without sin cast the first stone

No it will just go to collections that have insurance on everything so they get paid no matter what I would keep it

to Anonymous #1468894

Are you sure they are calling me for a laptop that I owe I'm 4 weeks behind and they want to bring the sheriffs to my job that's what they tell me when they call

to Jke #1487596

How did your situation go I’m currently in the same boat

Jennimm1012
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #1177947

They had me arrested for late payment . They called me ten times a day came to my house and job.

Secreting lien property was my charge and the arresting officer thought it was crazy so I didn't get a bond and when my court date approached I continued it for over a year then paid the value of the tv and charges were dropped. It actually saved me a lot of money bc I didn't pay interest or all the crazy fees rent a center charges.

to Anonymous Traverse City, Michigan, United States #1207245

The Secreting Lien charge only comes in to play if you have a judgement and attempt to hide the item to prevent law enforcement from enforcing said judgement. Also, the officers themselves do not determine the bond.

my husband and i got a living room set from rent a center in pennsylvania. we are ovet a month behind in payments.

they are constantly harrassing us. when i went in and picked out furniture i did not sign contrct because i didnt have down payment for 2 days called made payment. said they would bring contract on delivery they never did so no contract was signed.

only paperwork ever filled out was the application you have to fill out. can they bring legal action against us?

to Anonymous #1469584

You never signed a contract, that's yours. See cases like these in our offices all of the time.- Paralegal for Criminal, Probate, and Real Estate Attorneys.

to Anonymous #1523590

What if you sign a contract for a certain item but then on the day of delivery they drop your item and break it while loading it.... And instead of calling you and asking if you'd like to pick out a different one they just load up a loaner and tell you they will bring the paperwork for you to sign for the loaner and then they never have you sign anything for the loaner and your original item that was suppose to be fixed was never spoken of again?

dragonlily4u

I would call them and explain the situation. They can actually let to you bring it in they hold it and you comeback and pick it back up from where you left off. They are supposed to let you do this, but if they don't I would turn it back in and take your biz to another company that will be all to willing to be understanding.

Trinidad, Colorado, United States #892707

hello i got a tv from rent a center and i am under a monthly rental term i make smaller payments before due date because it can be convient for me to stop in well they are calling and leaving messages they are go in to the police my bill is due the 3rd of every month it is not the first yet and harassment but ne way they claim they changed my rental agreement to two weeks but how is that possible without my signature or notifying me about it is that legal now they want like 200 dollars with late fees can some one please help me pls email me with suggestions Mulinixs86@gmail.com

dragonlily4u
to Anonymous #1066761

first off it is your choice as to payment schedule not theirs, second they have to change it from weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly when you make a payment depending on how much you want to pay...say you have it set monthly but you come in 2 weeks early they have to switch it to bi-weekly to get the right amount owed. But it sounds like they forgot to switch it back after a payment.

Which is their fault. And all they have to do is switch it back to the right payment schedule, and that should resolve it.

I dont see how you got $200 in late fees though thats impossible unless you just havent been paying all-together. Also you should try their new online pay option....you dont have to deal with the A$$-end of their stupidity.

to dragonlily4u #1120905

Ya well they changed my payment day from Monday to Friday even though we were paid up until Monday. My bf changed jobs and no longer got paid on Friday but on Saturday nights( was working a security job at a bar and they paid them after work Saturday nights).

So we paid extra to get our payment day changed till Monday (they are closed on Sunday's). He didn't get paid from the new job for two weeks so we were late on our payment. We did however pay it and the late fees. Well, the next week we got a phone call on Friday before they closed that our payment was due and ate we coming in?

This made no sense as we are set up to pay on Monday. So that Monday when we went in to pay we were charged a late fee. We argued that we are not due till Monday and that we were not paying a late fee add were not late. The manager then said he changed us back to Friday since we were late on our payment!

We told him that we cannot possibly pay on Friday as he don't get paid till Saturday and he did not care so every week until we paid it off we were charged late fees! Once our items were paid off my bf no longer wanted to rent from them. A month later my dryer broke and I went to rent a center by myself to rent one in my name (the other items were in his name cuz I was pregnant and not working at the time, I was merely listed as a co renter but not legally obligated to pay for the stuff.) I was back to work and filled out the paperwork with my information, my signatures. Six months later I added an Xbox one to my account.

Again, I went in alone and filled out all the paperwork. Even filled out a new application to update my info. I fell behind on payments due to a family emergency and they started calling and harassing my bf. Called his mom, his old employer, etc..

Then they sent him a lawyer threatening legal action against him. None of this made any sense as he was not the renter, I was. So I took out my contract and started looking through it and seen they had his name on the contract as the renter. They literally forged his signature on the contract (typed computerized signature).

He had no knowledge nor gave any consent for them to put these items in his name. He must certainly did not sign any paperwork or contracts. I had no knowledge that the items were in his name, and was very angry myself that they did this as all the money I had been paying for nine months to own these items was a waste as they were not legally my items. We are not married only dating.

If we were to break up he would legally be able to keep my stuff! And my being late has impacted his credit negatively as well. I was going to pay off the items with my tax refund but after finding out that they are not my items just bought a dryer and Xbox one elsewhere in cash. I feel cheated and want my money back.

It's not fair that I paid for items that I would never own. Frankly I don't want to give them their stuff back until I get refunded. However, I am contacting a lawyer and will likely return their items regardless and just let my bf file suit against them for letting his gf rent items in his name without his or my knowledge or consent, for forgery of his name on a legally binding document, harrasments and threats, and negatively impacting his credit. Not only that, but this is considered felony forgery in the state of PA.

So they very well might be facing criminal charges. Stay away from rent a center! They do whatever they want even if it's illegal.

There was no reason for them to put my items in his name! Clearly they were just too lazy to do the reference and employment check on me so they just used the previous contract information on the new contract without either of our knowledge or consent!